With the holidays fast approaching, we end up with a lot of new items in our home whether we buy them or receive them as gifts. We often leave the gifts sitting around, wrapped or unwrapped, not realizing the dangers they can pose for our pets. We also may be tempted to include our pets in sampling holiday treats, although some of those treats can actually be toxic to our pets. I found some good tips for keeping your pets safe during this holiday season and many more to come! Here are the tips:
1. Don’t feed pets holiday treats or leftovers. Some foods such as chocolates, alcohol, uncooked bread dough, grapes and raisins can be life-threatening. Even if your pet is begging you with those sweet, sad eyes, do NOT give in!! Have actual dog treats on hand for your dog so you both can enjoy the season in a safe, worry-free manner.
2. Keep ribbons, tinsel, flower arrangements, electrical cords and holiday decorations away from pets. There are many small parts in holiday decorations and wrappings that can be swallowed and cause irreparable damage to your pet. Electrical cords are always a danger for pets, but with so many more cords and extension cords, keeping them away from pets is a top priority when you decorate. (There are some good sprays on the market that can be used to deter your pet from biting the cord. Check them out at your local pet store.)
3. Keep plants and flowers out of the reach of pets. Many people have heard about the dangers of poinsettias, but do you know that the amaryllis plant and lilies are very dangerous to both dogs and cats. The Christmas Rose is also on the Toxic List for pets.
4. Keep medications hidden where pets can’t reach them. Holidays normally mean household guests so make sure your guests keep their prescription medication out of a pet’s reach.
5. If your pet gets sick, don’t panic. Keep the number of your veterinarian and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center near the phone in case of an emergency.